Monday, November 7, 2011

Framed Atlas Prints { inexpensive DIY art }

I know that maps have been a hot trend for a while in decorating.  I also love the contrast of a great black and white print.  That's why I was overjoyed when I found an old atlas from the 1930's at a local antiques store for only $10!


Here's the old atlas.  I've seen similar ones online in terrible condition for $50 and up!  This has so many maps inside, each image is about 50 cents a piece.




The atlas was chock full of country maps and city maps, and the oversize pages { 11x14 } made them perfect for framing in my left over 11x14 frames without a mat.



I didn't care so much what cities they were { I settled on Boston, Philadelphia, Cleveland, New York, & San Francisco } I was more in it for the graphic value.  



I usually snap up clearance aisle frames, frames from IKEA { when I can get there }, and discount store frames in the larger sizes whenever I see them.



I stared by framing just the black and white prints because I only had five frames.  I just love how they turned out.



The total project value was less than $10 per print for the map and the frame.  Now I have a new wall of goodies!  If only I could find a spare wall around here...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments! They help inspire me to keep creating and sharing on this blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...